Featured Pets

SARF Headquarters
256 Industrial Park Drive
Waynesville, NC

Mailing Address:
PO Box 854
Waynesville, NC 28786

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I adopt a pet from SARF?
If you see a pet that you like on our website or in our Petfinder.com listings, you can contact Sarge's by phone or email to find out more about it. If it sounds like the right pet for you, submit an adoption application. You can either do that online or you can print out a paper copy and send or fax it to us. Links to all these forms are on the Featured Pets page. Sarge's Adoption Coordinator will contact you and help you decide if this pet is a good match for your home and family situation. Arrangements will be made for you to meet the pet and if all goes well, take your new pet home.

Why does SARF only accept shelter pets into the foster program?
Since the Haywood County Animal Shelter has to take in so many unwanted or lost pets, they are frequently filled to capacity and must euthanize those that have been there longest to make room for more. SARF volunteers rescue as many animals as we can from the shelter because they are in immediate danger of being euthanized. We wish we could help every needy animal in Haywood County; unfortunately we don't even have enough foster homes to accommodate all the adoptable pets from the shelter, let alone pets from private homes.

How do I become a SARF foster home?
You can print, fill out and send in this Printable Foster Application form, or fax it to 1-267-295-8730. You can also apply online: Foster Application. If everything looks satisfactory, members of the Foster Committee will arrange to visit your home to see what kind of pets are the best fit for your family. If your application is approved, you will sign a simple contract that outines your responsibilities as a Foster Parent, and when a suitable pet is identified at the shelter, you can meet it and make the final decision on whether to foster that particular pet.

How do I become a member of SARF?
It's easy! Just print our membership form and send it in with your tax-deductable membership dues, or you can send money via PayPal. Details are on the "You Can Help!" page.

How can I find it a new home for a pet that I can't keep or a stray that I found?
If you've been taking care of a stray animal, the first thing to do is try and find its owner. Some of these same methods can be used to find a new home for a pet that you can no longer keep:
  • Put an ad in the newspaper
  • Put an ad on this website for lost/found pets: www.lostpetswnc.org
  • Put posters in local veterinarians' offices, the Haywood County Animal Shelter and other locations in your neighborhood
  • Have a veterinarian check for a microchip imbedded in the animal.
  • You can post a listing on Petfinder.com. Here are the instructions:
    1. Go to www.petfinder.com and click "Classifieds"
    2. Click "Post Free Pet Classifieds" and read the information, then click "Post a free classified ad" at the bottom of the page.
    3. Read more information, then click "Post a Free Ad" at the bottom of the page.
    4. If you've never done this before, you'll need to create an account at Petfinder. They you're ready to create your ad!

What's the difference between SARF and HAWA?
Both organizations are working to benefit the animals of Haywood County. HAWA is now called Haywood Spay/Neuter and is handling the spay/neuter clinic and general educational material, while Sarge's goal is to find good homes for the unwanted dogs and cats of Haywood County.

What happens to the proceeds from fund-raising projects?
Most of the funds are used to provide medical care and to pay for boarding when foster homes are not available for Sarge's dogs and cats while they wait for adoption or transport north on the Dixie Dog Express.

Do you offer a low-cost spay/neuter program?
No, but Haywood Spay/Neuter does! Please check www.haywoodspayneuter.org or call 452-1329.